Sunday 18 November 2012

The Coastal Settlement review Singapore


After a tiring week at school, my parents decided to take me out for teabreak on a Saturday. My dad brought us to this place called The Coastal Settlement at 200, Netheravon Road. It looks as though it's in the middle of nowhere, but it's a really beautiful establishment. Apologies for the lack of pictures, in my excitement , I forgot to take any.

The interior of The Coastal Settlement looks very vintage. They have things like old typewriters and phones lying around. What intrigued me most was that they had chairs hanging up on the walls. But my dad, being the witty man he is, commented that he wouldn't want chairs hanging on the walls in our home lest they drop on somebody's head. That would be a nasty blow.

The ambience of the place was pretty cosy. The lighting was yellow to give it a very warm feel. And there were many caucasians too, so I guess they liked the feel of the place.

What's different about the things that they have on their menu is that majority of it isn't western food, but local food with a bit of a twist. I remember seeing Beef Hor Fun and I think it was a Fish Otah sandwich? Correct me if I'm wrong because I only glanced at it once. But it really was interesting.

So after taking in the view of the place, we decided to get down to ordering something. And since neither of us were in the mood for something cold, we ordered some sandwiches. This was the first that came. If I remember properly, it's called Toasty, or Toastie. Not exactly sure of the spelling.
But what I can tell you is, that it tasted fantastic. It was just layers and layers of ham sliced thinly and covered with melted cheese. It also had tomatoes inside, but for all those people who don't like vegetables like me, don't fret because there's so much ham in there that you won't even know you're munching on tomato. And the toasted bread they use is good too, it's crunchy but soft.
This dish gets 7.5/10 for me.

The next sandwich we ordered was out of curiousity. We HAD to try it because my brother's name is Reuben, and apparently the name of this sandwich is the Reuben Sandwich.
To all meat lovers, this is the beef sandwich to die for.
It has so many layers of beef, with just that bit of pepper to make it just right and it was just heaven in my mouth. Normally I don't eat sandwiches because I just like to eat the meat on it's own, but this was really delicious.
It had a bit of pickle in it, I think so that it would give the sandwich that crunch. But don't worry if you're not a fan of pickles, because these aren't sour and you can barely taste them. But if you really don't like them, just take them out. Good sandwich. I'd give it a 8/10.

And that's my review of the Coastal Settlement! Hope you enjoyed it and thanks for reading!

Signing off,

The Busy Bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment